July 21, 2008

Nostalgia

My uncle passed away this week and I went home for the funeral. He was my mother's brother; one of many. My grandparents were married for 57 years and had a total of 15 children; 14 boys and 1 girl, my mother. Going home and seeing all the family again has made me feel a bit nostalgic. These are the people I spent the first years of my life with and yet I haven't seen most of them in 8 years, since my grandmother passed away. We used to have family reunions every year, but now we only see each other at funerals. It's sad, really, because we all lived as a tight knit little community and now we never even speak.

I remember so many things about my childhood, but the one thing that stands out is how we all knew without a doubt that we were loved, not only by our parents, but by everyone in our family. We all lived side by side, we were all in and out of each other's houses, we fought of course, but we always made up. We always had someone to talk to or play with. I'm missing that now and I'm sorry that my own children haven't gotten to experience it. Some of my cousins have never even met my children and for that I'm also very sorry. We're all missing out on so much.

No comments: