November 08, 2010

Deployment 2010

It's been a long weekend. Saturday I spent all day with my son and his family preparing for his deployment. He's headed over to Afghanistan for a year.

He deployed a couple of years ago, but this time will be different. The last time he was sent to a base in Iraq that was away from the main area of combat. He was a mechanic and of course he was trained in combat, but he didn't have to use it then. This time he's going to a base in the main area of combat and his job will be to man the guns on top of the trucks.

Needless to say, I'm terrified for him. He may be grown, but he's still my baby boy and I pray every day that he will be safe and will come home to us whole.

In the meantime, his wife and kids are coming to spend this week with me and then they'll go to Texas to be with her family for a couple of months. I'll miss them all, but they'll be home soon and I'll get to spoil the babies more. And when James comes home next year we'll all be together again!

No comments: