October 01, 2010

Lois McCollough McDaniel

This past Sunday my very best friend got a phone call that changed her life forever. Her mother passed away. She wasn't sick with any kind of terminal illness. She didn't have a known heart condition. She simply woke up one morning, got out of bed to get the paper from the porch, came back inside and died of a heart attack (according to the coronor's office without benefit of an autopsy).

When I was five years old I met Tammy, who turned out to be the best friend anyone could ever have. Her mother Lois and my mother were friends and I considered Lois my second mother all through our teenage years. I didn't see her much once I got married and moved away from our small town, but I knew everything about her from Tammy. She was a good woman who loved her children even if she didn't know how to express it the way she wanted to.

Tammy loved her mother with all her heart and will miss her deeply. And so will everyone who knew her. RIP Lois McCollough McDaniel.

Let not your heart be troubled.
Let not your soul despair,
For I am in God's keeping,
His arms surround me there.

My troubles now have eased their hold,
My pains no longer mine,
For God my master's face I see
His light for me does shine.

Dry your tears and smile for me.
I watch you from above,
And know dear ones that all is well.
I live now in God's love.

No comments: