November 28, 2008

Black Friday

Today is Black Friday, so named because years ago business claimed that the day after Thanksgiving was the day the were "back in the black". Sales are up that day and throughout Christmas most years. People camp out at the mall or show up at 2 am for stores opening at 4. All just to get a good deal.

I did this one year with an ex sister-in-law. I worked nights at a local hospital as a clerk, but promised to go with her shopping as soon as I got off work. We hit the malls and a few of the smaller stores. Mainly I just helped her gather what she was looking for because at the time I was broke. I hated it. I don't like fighting crowds and I was already so tired from being up all night at work. And I swore I'd never do it again.

This promise to myself was more firmly rooted when I took a job at Wal-Mart during the Christmas season and had to work the day after Thanksgiving. It was even more painful to be on the opposite side of the check-out line that day. Fights, stabbings, muggings, all happening inside the store as well as out. It's amazing how grown women can become so animalistic over a Barbie doll or a Playstation. Personally I don't think a sale of any kind is worth all that hassle. But then, I'm not the normal woman who just loves to shop either.

No comments: