March 19, 2012

Revising & Critiques

I pulled out Rebel Union again yesterday and started revisions. I've thrown out the first two chapters to be woven in as backstory later and will write a completely new Chapter 1 based on Chapters 3 & 4. Putting it aside for awhile was the right thing to do. Now I can start with a fresh perspective & hopefully get somewhere with it.

I had dinner last week with another member of MCRW who will hopefully be able to help me improve my skills as a writer. She's working on her 4th book in a series and she's already finaled in a couple of contests. She's farther along than I am so she'll be able to help me understand what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it. I'm not sure what she'll get from me, but hopefully we'll be able to help each other out.

I have a feeling it's going to help me a lot just to have someone who is not a friend or family member to be accountable to. She won't care if she hurts my feelings and she'll tell me exactly what she thinks. That's gonna be a good thing.

No comments: