June 02, 2010

Back to Reality

I had an awesome time visiting family in Seattle (actually, they live outside Olympia) over the Memorial Day weekend. We got there on Friday afternoon, visited awhile, then went to dinner at Ramblin Jack's. Good food, good company...who could ask for more?

Well, it gets better. On Saturday, my sister-in-law & I went shopping, bought a few cute things for myself and had a great time. Then we went back to the house, gathered up the menfolk & went to the shooting range set up on their property. They had several different guns & we had fun handling those. I shot a 45 pistol (and actually hit the target twice...lol) and a 30-30 (sorry, no hits with that one...I am soooo not coordinated...lol). But the most fun was working the Trebuchet. My brother-in-law built one and loves to fool around with it. That was pretty cool. After that we had a cook-out along with some of my brother-in-law's family. Good people and lots of fun. I was worn out by midnight!

Sunday we all got up and dressed and went to pick up my mother-in-law, then went to Tacoma to the Glass Museum. It was so awesome to sit in the Hot Shop & watch the artists blow glass. They were creating a 5 ft tall "flip" cup. The museum was showing some awesome pieces, including some designed by kids which the artist turned into masterpieces. I loved it!

Then on to the Melting Pot for a 3 hour meal. That was really fun & a definite experience if you've never done it before. I'd love to go to the one here in Nashville sometime.

But the real experience came on Monday. Our flight was scheduled to leave around 11:30 am so we got to the airport around 10 or so. That's when the fun began. There were thunderstorms in Chicago where our connecting flight was & everthing was grounded going in or flying out. We left Seattle around 1pm & got to Chicago around 6:30pm. Our next flight was originally scheduled to leave about that time but was delayed until 8pm...at the gate on the far end of the airport.

Luckily we had plenty of time so we didn't have to hurry. We stopped for a bite to eat once we found where we were supposed to go, then relaxed a bit, hoping our flight would take off when they said it would. And of course that didn't happen. I looked at the board again to check things and they'd changed the flight to leave at 10pm...back on the other end of the airport.

We gathered our things and moved back to where we'd come in originally & waited for 10 to come around. It came around...then passed us by. The flight kept getting delayed. Actually, we had a plane, but no crew to fly it. They were on another delayed flight that wouldn't come in til 1am so we were told we'd leave about 1:30am. Around 1 they let us know that the pilots had made it in, but were back in the middle of the airport...we had to move again. We finally boarded & left Chicago around 2am & got home to Nashville around 4. Needless to say I didn't go to work as I'd planned & spent all day Tuesday relaxing & sleeping.

But all-in-all it was an awesome weekend! And I can't wait to do it again sometime!

No comments: