April 28, 2010

Don't Lie To Me!

So, my daughter calls me from school this morning on her cell phone to tell me the school is on lockdown and the cops are there looking for a guy with a gun somewhere in the building. Of course I freak out and call the school. The lady in the office told me that it was just a drill they have to do a couple times a year and nothing was going on. Never mind the fact that my child has been in that school for four years and there's never been a drill before.

So, I try to calm my daughter down and let her know it's ok. It's just a drill and should be over soon. Only she informs me that they just came on the intercom to tell the students to remain in their classrooms a little longer. They had a serious situation but not to panic.

So, I call again and am told the same thing. It's a drill and everything's ok. Then I go onto the news website and find out they've arrested two students for bringing a semi-automatic weapon to school. Umm...drill, huh? Yeah, right!!

Of course I panic for real now and leave work to go to the school, just like every other parent on the planet would do. I'm met by a security guard in the parking lot who tells me what's happened. A student saw a kid with a gun on the bus and reported it. The kid with the gun put the gun in a female student's purse. Both were arrested and taken down to jail. When I asked why the school lied to me, the guard says she'd heard that from a lot of parents and couldn't explain it.

When I get into the office, there's not a single office worker, just students trying to help the parents find their students. I asked to speak with an office worker and when I asked them why they lied they tell me "we didn't know what was going on. We didn't know there were police and dogs in the school." Yeah, right. You're on lockdown and you're in the main office and you have no idea that something's going on. I don't think so.

And while I'm waiting for my daughter to get to the office so we can leave I hear that same worker on the phone with another parent telling them "We don't know anything about a gun. We haven't heard anything."

I know they don't want to cause a panic, but for goodness sake don't lie to me. Just tell me there's been an incident but things are fine and back to normal now. Don't tell me a bald faced lie that's only going to piss me off when I find out through the news that someone had a gun around my kid.

Stupid school! I can't wait for graduation next month.

No comments: