March 24, 2011

Follow Your Dreams

Unfortunately following my dream is not something I've always done. My dream when I was a teenager was to go to college and become a reporter. Instead I got married, had kids and quit writing altogether.

I let my insecurities and an abusive husband tell me I wasn't good enough to be what I wanted to be, so I gave up my writing and I didn't go to college. I am glad, though, that I didn't become a reporter. I don't think I have the get-the-story-at-all-cost mentality and wouldn't have made it far. Perhaps I could have been a columnist, and probably still could if I wanted to. And since I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up, maybe I will. Who knows?

But I do know that I wouldn't trade my life for anything else. There have been a LOT of hard times and I've gone through things that no woman or mother should have to go through. But those things have made me the person I am today. And I happen to like that person.

And now it's time for me to finally follow my dream. My dream has changed over the years, but it's still basically the same beneath it all. I have always wanted to write. And now that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm not very good at it yet and sometimes I get so blocked and insecure that I don't write for days or weeks at a time. But I'm still following my dream every time I sit down at the computer (or notebook) and write even a single sentence. And that is the greatest feeling in the world.

Never, never give up on your dreams. Put them aside for awhile if you must, but never give them up completely.

No comments: