December 16, 2009

Christmas Memories

I remember one Christmas wanting a diamond necklace more than anything in the world. I was about 10 or 11 and I told Mom, even though I knew we could never afford one.

I woke up Christmas morning and we all gathered around the tree. There were no boxes small enough to be a diamond necklace and I was disappointed. I had hoped that maybe, just maybe, that necklace would be there.

All the gifts were opened except this huge box. Mom brought it to me and said it was mine, something I really wanted and she knew I'd love it.

I couldn't imagine what it could possibly be. It was heavy and when I opened the box, I found nothing but old newspapers and sweet potatoes. I remember looking up at mom and wondering what on earth was going on. She told me to keep going and so I took everything out and sat it next to me on the floor. The deeper I got into the box, the more confused I became. Finally, down at the very bottom, was a small jewelry box; my diamond necklace. I was so excited I couldn't contain myself. I got what I wanted and mom got to see my face move from disappointment, to confusion, to excitement.

Isn't that what we all strive for during Christmas? To see that the gifts we choose, whether something they've asked for or something we chose especially for them, give so much joy to those we love.

I lost that necklace (thank goodness it wasn't a real diamond) b/c I wasn't really old enough to treasure something like that. But the memory of how I got it will never be lost. And that's the true treasure.

Merry Christmas, Everyone!!!

No comments: